We strongly encourage early application because of the program's limited space. Students who have completed at least their sophomore year of high school are eligible to apply.
Applications are still being accepted for Summer 2013
Apply online now
All requirements below may be submitted online.
Or, use the paper application
and submit the following:
- Non-refundable $50 application fee.
- One letter of recommendation from an art teacher or guidance counselor. Letters of recommendation should be sent directly to the Admissions Office (230 The Fenway, Boston, MA 02115). Applicants from outside the United States need to have a letter of recommendation in English.
- A typewritten essay (12 pages) on one of the following two topics:
- Why do you want to attend SMFA's Pre-College Summer Studio Program? Tell us what attracts you to this program in particular.
- Describe your ideal community. How might collaborating with other artists benefit your art (or not)?
- Portfolio: A minimum of eight images of your artwork, such as photographs or digital images. Acceptable digital formats include DVDs, CD-ROMs or links to online portfolios. We do not accept submissions via email. Please label all materials with your name and title of work. Images should represent work done within the last year. Please do not send original works. Images will not be returned unless a self-addressed, stamped envelope is included.
International applicants must also submit additional information. Email Katherine Mitchell
for international application information.